Liverpool moved within 13 points of securing the Premier League title by winning the Merseyside derby against Everton thanks to Diogo Jota’s goal. But even getting the 20th league title of the club’s history over the line won’t stop this summer being a big one.
Arne Slot knows what his Liverpool side needs and there will be movement in the market. Sporting director Richard Hughes is set to be busy and there are several positions that could be targeted for improvements.
Here is the Liverpool.com verdict on the transfer gossip to emerge around the Reds today. We start with a winger who has been on the gossip pages before plenty of times.
Takefusa Kubo (Real Sociedad)
Previously linked with Liverpool as an option to come in and strengthen the Reds’ attack, Real Sociedad winger Takefusa Kubo is back among the gossip again. According to TeamTalk, an exit for Kubo is likely this summer with Premier League interest gathering.
If Sociedad does not make it into Europe then it might have to sell players. Martin Zubimendi, who was courted heavily by Liverpool before Ryan Gravenberch made the number six position his own at Anfield, is expected to join Arsenal.
Kubo is a talented player and is only 23 years old, but he has only scored five times in La Liga this season and is yet to register an assist. Those numbers are pretty low for a team like Liverpool, who values output so highly, to consider.
Liverpool.com says: Kubo is great to watch but he needs more end product. That might come in a better team or when he gets a bit older but Liverpool would be taking a risk by going for him.
Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace)
Crystal Palace and England center-back Marc Guehi has often popped up on the transfer rumor mill in recent months with Spurs and Newcastle going for him last summer. He stayed put then but will be entering the final year of his deal once the campaign ends.
“We haven’t just started talking about his contract,” Palace boss Oliver Glasner has said. “The talks were going on even before I arrived — for more than two years now.
“Marc is thinking what is best for his personal career and this is what we have to accept. I don’t know (if he will sign a new deal). I don’t think about what happens in summer.
“On the May 26, I will turn my phone off for one or two weeks and then we will see what happens. Everybody knows he is a great footballer and a great character.
“Let’s see what happens. Of course, no manager would want to lose their captain. It will be Marc’s decision, but I know that he is so focused on improving his game and our game. It has no influence on his performances.”
Liverpool.com says: Guehi was valued at around $90 million (£70 million) last summer and no club should have been thinking about paying that. For a more realistic sum of around half that, he might prove good value.