Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford will reportedly have to accept a pay reduction if he wants to join Aston Villa on a permanent basis during this summer’s transfer window.
The England international made the move to Villa on loan in January, and he has been in strong form for Unai Emery‘s side, scoring three times and registering four assists in 11 appearances.
Villa have the option to sign Rashford for £40m during the summer market, and it is widely expected that will be taken up.
However, according to Football Insider, the Red Devils academy product will have to take a pay cut to move to Villa Park, as Emery’s team would not be prepared to pay him the £350,000 a week that he is on at Old Trafford.
Villa are currently covering the majority of Rashford’s wages, but a new deal would have to be agreed this summer if the Champions League quarter-finalists decide to activate their purchase option.
There is said to be the option of handing Rashford a longer deal to spread out the wages, which both Chelsea and Manchester City have taken advantage of in recent times.
Rashford ‘will have to accept pay cut’ to join Villa on a permanent deal
Rashford scored his first Premier League goal for Villa in their 3-0 success over Brighton & Hove Albion on Wednesday night.
The forward is bidding to help Emery’s side secure a top-four spot in the Premier League table this season, while Villa are also in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and semi-finals of the FA Cup.
When asked earlier this week about the form of Rashford and Antony, with the latter impressing on loan at Real Betis, Man United head coach Ruben Amorim told reporters: “I know Rashford really well and everybody knows the talent that he has.
“So I already spoke about that. He’s a top player, if he wants. So I’m not surprised. And like I said, it’s the same with Antony, it’s a good thing. We see our players doing well on loan in a different context. That can happen and it’s a good sign for the club.
“We are really happy for our players that are on loan doing well.”
Emery: ‘No decision on Rashford future’
Villa head coach Emery, meanwhile, said after Rashford’s brace against Preston North End in the FA Cup last weekend that no decision had been made on the forward’s future.
“Not yet. The most important thing is the challenge now and this afternoon, recovering and then preparing for the match against Brighton tomorrow,” Emery told reporters.
“A decision about each individual player, it is to get the best of them and the best of us. We don’t want to waste time thinking about it.”
Rashford was linked with the likes of Barcelona and AC Milan when it became clear that he would be leaving Man United in January, but the only serious offer is believed to have arrived from Villa late in the market.